A woman in the Philippines who ordered fried chicken for her son recently received a rude shock when she realised she had received a deep-fried towel instead!
Alique Perez ordered food from Jollibee via Grab for her son and was disgusted when she realised what had been delivered.
In a Facebook post, she said she was really frustrated and disturbed over the incident.
“We had Jollibee delivered via grab. Ordered chicken for my son, while I was trying to get him a bite, I found it super hard to even slice. Tried opening it up with my hands and to my surprise a deep-fried towel.
“This is really disturbing… How do you get the towel in the batter and even fry it!?”
She said she had heard about people complaining about finding weird stuff in their food, but never thought it would happen to her.
“Now I know that it really happens,” she wrote. “So disgusting and embarrassing… to think that you’re even branched in BGC. There’s a first for everything. And this has been the worst first!
“Calming myself down for this… But WTH.”
The post had since gone viral and Jollibee soon shared a statement on the matter, saying they had been forced to close the branch in Bonifacio Global City for three days, starting from June 3, in order to “review its compliance with procedures” and “retrain its store team”.